This program is available in Vancouver, Calgary, Mississauga, and Online.
Program Duration: 72 weeks in Vancouver; 73 weeks in Calgary; 72 weeks for Online
Our 3D Modeling Animation Art and Design diploma program teaches you the skills you'll need to successfully compete in the computer generated animation industry. The program harnesses the talent of industry-leading professionals to teach the theory and techniques used in three-dimensional animation art and design.
The program focuses on game development, including staging scenes, game environments, using storyboards, and designing and animating 3D characters using industry-standard software.
Graduates of this program will have a strong portfolio to showcase their animation work to find employment in roles such as character modeler, technical artist or junior production designer. 3D animation job opportunities exist in CGI-based industries such as game development companies, computer animation studios, post-production, and special effects studios.
Upon successful completion of this program, you will be able to:
- Produce computer-generated images
- Shape a model
- Develop a storyboard
- Stage a scene
- Design characters
- Design environments
- Produce 3D models of props and characters
- Represent movements in three dimensions
- Animate characters
- Create digital visual effects
- Understand the latest trends in the visual and graphic arts
- Use critical thinking and creativity to enhance visual expression
- Draw a character and its environment
- Analyze and critique a production
The program consists of six 12-week terms. Most courses are worth three credits. 90 credits are required to complete this diploma program.
Admissions Requirements in BC
- High school graduation or equivalent (from an English language teaching institution) OR
- Mature student status (19 years of age upon starting classes and pass the college's admission test).
This program has been approved by the registrar of the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills and Training.
Admissions Requirements in Alberta
- Alberta high school diploma or equivalent verified by transcript OR
- Mature student status and must meet ALL of the following criteria:
- Out of school for one year
- Be at least 18 years of age prior to admission
- Thirty-three credits towards an Alberta high school diploma or equivalent verified by transcript OR an overall score of 502 on the College Aptitude Test.
The Visual College of Art and Design of Calgary is licensed by the Private Career College Branch of Alberta Advanced Education.