Working at VCAD
The Visual College of Art and Design Vancouver (VCAD) is an innovative and dynamic Vancouver-based college of creative applied arts.
VCAD has taught artists and imaginative people to follow their creative passions for over 35 years. Our Art and Design diploma programs cover the fashion, graphic and web design, interior design, and animation industries.
Think you'd be a great fit? Take a look at our listing of current job opportunities.
Work at VCAD
Applied Arts Program Head (Interior Design)Ongoing Full-Time, VCAD Vancouver
The Visual College of Art and Design Vancouver (VCAD) is an innovative and dynamic Vancouver-based college of creative applied arts. VCAD has taught artists and imaginative people to follow their creative passions for over 35 years. Our Art and Design diploma programs cover the fashion, graphic and web design, interior design, and animation industries. We are happy to say that we are looking for a Interior Design Program Head to join our team!
The purpose of the Program Head is to provide program related administrative and management oversight and to contribute to the academic success of students and to the success of the College in achieving its statement of purpose. Under general direction from the Campus Director/Education Manager, the Program Head is responsible for providing coordinated program direction, quality assurance, program review, and exhibiting leadership by practice and example. The Program Head ensures that the program continues to meet the employment needs of the industry as well as regulatory requirements. Specific activity portfolios will be undertaken in addition to Program duties; these may include, but are not restricted to: technology, student engagement; brand/image; and infrastructure.
Specifically, the Program Head will be responsible for:
· Overseeing program administration and operation to ensure students have an excellent learning experience
· Monitoring program development and improvement
· Managing the development of curriculum and instructional materials
· Delivering instruction that meets module and program objectives as set out in the curriculum
· Managing instructors and staff to ensure success of students in the program
· Acting in a manner that upholds the College standards
· Act, liaise, and report on issues related to nominated activity portfolio
· Other related duties as required by the program and campus
The Program Head will at various times be responsible for the following as well as other related duties as assigned to support the business objectives and purpose of the College.
1. Overseeing program administration and operation to ensure students have an excellent learning experience by:
- Completing required forms and records and submitting them to administration staff in a timely manner.
- Assessing and maintaining the physical facilities of the Program, including equipment, supplies and space.
- Coordinating and documenting accreditation, advisory committee’s, program review, or assessment activities required for the Program.
2. Monitoring program development and improvement through activities such as:
- Developing program assessment and evaluation tools.
- Reviewing evaluations of course content, developing remedial action plans, and following up with continuing problems.
- Building and strengthening relationships with professional organizations and other industry contacts to ensure continuing relevancy of program
- Establishing priorities for academic programs’ current and future program development.
- Developing, and overseeing department resources.
3. Managing the development of curriculum and instructional materials by:
- Ensuring program and curriculum remain relevant to current and future market needs and are in compliance with the requirements of relevant external regulatory bodies.
- Monitoring, reviewing and evaluating the program curriculum and delivery.
- Maintaining up to date copies of course outlines, objectives, lesson plans and course notes.
- Reviewing course synopsis data for accuracy, proficiency and completion.
- Initiate curriculum changes and other activities to maintain a quality academic Program.
- Review and regularly check resources for use in the classrooms.
4. Delivering instruction that meets module and program objectives as set out in the curriculum through:
- Explaining the course outline, syllabus and expectations to students, and following meaningful learning objectives.
- Preparing lesson plans and teaching aids that utilize a variety of teaching methods which will promote the attainment of desirable goals of students.
- Encouraging participation and the development of critical thinking and communication skills through appropriate assignments and in-class exercises.
- Monitoring and reviewing students during practicum and/or clinical placements
- Evaluating student performance fairly and consistently
5. Managing instructors and staff to ensure success of students in the program through:
- Supervising and suggesting instructional staff to Director of Education or Campus Director.
- Ensuring all instructors are providing quality instruction and facilitating student learning according to the prescribed curriculum.
- Organizing and facilitating meetings of instructors and departments.
6. Acting in a manner that upholds the College standards through actions such as:
- Conducting themselves at all times with the utmost attention to professionalism, integrity and respect for students, the program, colleagues, curriculum and the College as is fitting of a person in a position of trust with respect to the students.
- Possessing a clear understanding of, and upholding, all of the policies and procedures, as reasonably adopted and amended from time to time by the College.
- Meeting the College’s internal standards for quality of education as well as the external standards imposed by regulatory and accrediting bodies.
- Demonstrating strong interpersonal skills in interactions with all college staff & students.
7. Other related duties as required by the program and campus:
- Responsible for assigned Activity Portfolios within the College such as technology, student engagement; brand/image; and infrastructure. Details of activities will evolve within the needs of the program and College. The activity portfolio will occupy approximately 40% of workload.
- Participating in College events, such as new student orientation and Graduate Exhibitions.
To be successful individuals must be committed to developing, maintaining and demonstrating the following:
Education and Experience:
- Degree from a recognized University or College in a relevant discipline. Master’s Degree is strongly preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A credential in adult education or in progress from an accredited postsecondary institution, and/or teaching experience is preferred.
- Satisfy specific position qualifications as prescribed in program design and program approval for the instruction of the courses.
Skills and Abilities:
- Relevant industry skills and knowledge relating to the area of instruction, including ongoing professional development and continuous improvement.
- Interest in pedagogical and multi-modal education approaches an asset.
- Advanced oral and written communication skills, including presentation and group facilitation.
- Ability to motivate and inspire students and staff.
- High standards of behavior, a professional attitude and commitment to quality service.
- Ability to work cooperatively with other instructors and staff.
- Ability to consider and respond appropriately to the needs, feelings and capabilities of students and staff, to provide feedback and treat students and staff equitably.
Click Here to Apply